5 ways to protect yourself against debit card dangers…
- Save receipts to check against your monthly statement. Make sure all the charges are correct and there are no errors on the statement or any unauthorized charges.
- Don’t use a PIN that is too obvious, like your date of birth or 1234, and change it regularly.
- Sign up for online banking if you haven’t yet so that you can check your account often.
- Reduce your risk of ATM “skimming”, in which a device electronically swipes your data and PIN. Use machines at banks rather than in convenience stores, airports, gas stations, or any isolated location, which can be riskier.
- Use your debit card to make purchases only with trusted merchants, and don’t give your card number to anyone you don’t know over the phone or by e-mail.
Source: Consumer Reports ShopSmart;)magazine, April 2012, page 16)